Podcasts are free, audio files made available on the Internet for downloading to a computer or your smartphone, typically available as a series. New installments of a podcast can be subscribed to and received automatically.
A podcast is similar to a radio program with key differences:
- Listeners can tune into their favorite shows at their convenience.
- You can listen to podcasts directly on any device that can play audio files.
Podcasts have these characteristics:
- Usually Free.
- They are mostly audio files, but can also be videos, or PDF’s.
- You subscribe to updates that are automatically put into your podcast app, so you can listen to the episode.
- Businesses use podcasts as a marketing tool—to establish credibility on a topic and generate leads for other products.
- Podcasts have reviews and number of subscribers, so you can see which ones are popular.
- There are a wide range of topics available.
Here’s how to get started with Podcasts:
Step 1 - Download or open the Podcast App from the App Store
Step 2 - Follow Apple’s simple and complete guide for Podcasts
Step 3 - Explore Podcasts
Here are some of my favorite podcasts to get you started:
This American Life is a weekly public radio show, heard by 2.2 million people on more than 500 stations. Another 2.5 million people download the weekly podcast. Primarily a journalistic non-fiction program, it has also featured essays, memoirs, field recordings, short fiction, and found footage.
Introduced August of 2017, this podcast features your favorite interviews and aha! moments from SuperSoul Sunday.
Episodes feature conversations with the world’s top thinkers, teachers and luminaries.
Jonathan Field’s weekly podcast that shares inspiration, intimate and unfiltered conversations about living a fully-engaged, connected and purposeful life.
Produced by WNYC (New York’s flagship public radio stations), join host Manoush Zomorodi for your weekly reminder to question everything. Is your phone watching you? Can wexting make you smarter? Are your kids real? These and other essential quandaries for anyone trying to preserve their humanity in the digital age.
Brought to you by NPR and TED Talks, a journey through fascinating ideas, astonishing inventions, fresh approaches to old problems, and new ways to think and create.
I hope you enjoy getting started with podcasts as much as I did. There are some really great podcasts available to entertain and educate you!
Are you ready to finally understand your iPhone? Join us for the next 10-week iPhone Challenge
, where in one hour per week from 10 weeks you’ll go from overwhelm to mastery!