A lot of my friends use Pinterest to get design inspiration for their homes, but my favorite site for design ideas is Houzz. It's like a virtual parade of homes tour that's always open--plus you don't have to take off your shoes.
Not familiar with Houzz? Here are some interesting facts:
- Houzz started in February of 2009 and became available for the iPad in November of 2010.
- By the end of 2015, there were over 35 million unique monthly visitors and over 1 million home improvement specialists on Houzz.
- You can go from inspiration to reality by getting detailed information about products and paint colors used in the design.
- When shopping for products, Houzz handles the payment and the seller handles fulfillment of the order and customer service.
- If you’re a professional in the home improvement field, you can list your business and submit photos for free. You can also easily customize your profile—for a price.
How do you get your design inspiration? Here's how I did it using Houzz for my home:
Step 1 - On my iPad, I open the Houzz app (free) and start by picking a room and style.
Step 2 - When I see a picture I like, selecting " i " gives me more information.
Step 3 - Next, I save it to an ideabook, adding comments. I always mark my comments as private.
Step 4 - View the ideabook on the houzz.com website for even more information--like paint colors!
Step 5 - I use the Houzz app on my smartphone to look at my ideabook when shopping.
Looking at my ideabook for my home, I really have zeroed in on the look I want to achieve. I know my space won't look exactly like the photo, but I'll be a lot closer with the inspiration I was able to capture on Houzz.