Have you ever had the need to trim your iPhone video? If you're like me, many times I keep the video rolling long after the best part of the action took place. Or sometimes I’ll catch some good action at the beginning or end of the video, but the middle section is really uninteresting and boring.
Long and boring videos aren't fun for anyone to watch. Plus they take up a tremendous amount of storage on your iPhone.
It’s a good thing that your iPhone has an easy-to-use trimming feature built right in to the photos app. You can easily eliminate the unwanted beginning or ending of a video, or create new clips of your favorite segments.
Don’t worry about leaving valuable footage on the cutting room floor. The video trimming feature keeps the original, untrimmed version of your video.
Here’s how to trim a video using your iPhone.
1 - Open the video in the Photos App on your iPhone.
- Videos are stored in the Photos app along with the photos you’ve taken.
- You can also find all videos by selecting albums, and scrolling down until you find Media Types.
2 - Select a video and then select edit in the upper right corner.
3 - You’ll see a timeline showing frames in the video.
- Select the play button to see the slider move throughout the video.
- You can also move the slider with your finger to advance the video.
- Play through the video a few times to get an idea of where you’d like to trim.
4 - Press and hold the white arrow on the left or right side of the timeline.
- Hold the arrow and swipe up until you see the timeline turn yellow.
- You need to press the arrow near the edge, so it can be a little tricky.
- When the timeline has turned yellow, you're in video trim mode.
5 - Drag the yellow arrow on the left or right side to trim your video.
- You’ll see the exact frame you’re trimming as the video plays.
- The new timeline is within the yellow arrows.
- You can play you’re newly trimmed video using the play button to ensure you’ve trimmed correctly.
6 - Select ‘Done’ in the bottom right when you’re done trimming your video.
7 - Select ‘Save as New Clip’ to save your trimmed video.
- You'll be able to watch your newly trimmed video in the Photos App.
- You can also find it in the 'All Photos' album withyour recent photos and videos, or the 'Videos' album.
- Don’t forget to find the original, untrimmed video in your videos album and delete it if you’d like to save space on your iPhone.
As you can see, it's really easy to trim a video using the video trim tool in the Photos App. Practice on some old videos and you may just bring them back to life!